Saturday 16 March 2013

Irish Soda Bread!

I thought I'd make something a little traditional for lunch - for the weekend that's in it!
 
The baking of bread in its many different forms is one of the great Irish traditions.
Traditionally, Irish women would have made fresh bread every day; sometimes wheaten, sometimes soda, sometimes sweetened with treacle or fruit and sometimes even with a splash of the black stuff.
 
Irish Soda Bread
 
 
Grease a well-loved loaf tin with some butter and preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius...
 
 
Sift 450g or approx 3 cups of plain flour into a bowl...
 
 
Add a teaspoon of bread (bicarbonate) soda...


And a teaspoon of salt...
 
 
Stir in 450ml (approx) of buttermilk...
 
 
until you get a spongy dough (this is the knead free version)...
 

Tip the mixture into the loaf tin...
 

Bake for 40 minutes...

 Leave to cool on a wire rack, wrapped in a tea towel for a nice crust...
 
 
This was lunch today with some lovely Ballintubber Farmhouse mature cheddar cheese with chives...
 

Soda bread is best eaten on the day it's made but it's great fried the next day too, enjoy!!! 

10 comments:

  1. Your bread looks yummy! Bread and cheese soundslike the perfect lunch to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the easiest bread recipe I have ever seen. I am going to make it today! Bread and cheese is also the perfect lunch for me! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes I will be making my delicious bread today.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day!


    The bread looks delicious! I like soda bread, but I've always bought it for myself. I can try this, but if I bake bread I have to make it gluten-free for my daughter. (It's not fair to fill the home with that smell and eat in front of her. ) I'll let you know if modifying works. It looks like a straightforward recipe and these are the best to try to change.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing better or worse for you than fried bread! Yum! Not everybody knows about keeping bread in a muslin towel to make a nice crust. Oh think of it. Fresh homemade bread every single day! Yours looks lovely! I enjoyed your award post and learning a bit about you. Congratulations on your recent anniversary! I would go back to Ireland in a heartbeat! Thanks for the wonderful St. Patrick's Day greeting! Hope you two enjoy a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh thanks for sharing this. I grew up on this bread with both my mother and my grandmother making this on a regular basis. I remember the bread being wrapped and us anxious to eat a slice of it while warm. My great grandmother came from Northern Ireland and passed along a lot of traditions to my own mother.
    Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy St. Paddy's Day to you. May the sun come up and bless you. I think I am a day late for your St. Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy. Hope you enjoyed it. Happy St. Patrick's Day, x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love soda bread. my mother used to make it for my brother and me and have it waiting for us when we came home from school. Thank you for bringing back a good memory. Happy Saint Patrick's Day.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...